Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The things that keep me busy

Since we started homeschooling this year with a few new programs, I have found myself making the most unusual grocery lists. The list below is for science, we're going to be testing acids and bases and making our own litmus paper with red cabbage and coffee filters (just writing that makes me exhausted!)
Our history program, The Story of the World, lists multiple activities for each lesson. Usually, I go through and pick out the easiest activity. I especially like when I get to tell Grant to go make something out of legos like a ziggurat or a siege tower. That keeps him busy for hours and I don't have to supervise at all. However, since we were already purchasing the red cabbage for science, I thought I'd try something a little more involved and do the "Dye something a royal purple" activity. (Again... totally exhausted! What am I thinking?) If and when this gets done, I promise to post pictures.
I was able to finally take "canned papaya" off of my shopping list. I'd been on the search for that one for a couple of weeks. It was part of our history lesson on Africa. One of the activities was to make an African feast. We didn't make the whole feast, just some fried plantains and this papaya fried rice. The kids weren't overly thrilled with it, but I liked it lots.



And finally... something that doesn't involve the kids or a history lesson! I found this sweater at the thrift store. Isn't it just so incredibly awful!!!! but it's a great color for some of those cute felted sweater projects that I have been wanting to do. Go check out Betz White's blog, I love her stuff. http://blog.betzwhite.com/






6 comments:

Leslie said...

i can not wait to see what this sweater turns into. We are on the africa chapter this week and i don't think i am doing any of it...or any activities for awhile, for that matter.

Grammie/Mom said...

I'm with Leslie. That is some sweater. That papaya rice looked pretty good.

Kate said...

yumm... I actually would eat that rice. it looked real good. can't wait to see what you do with the sweater

Colleen said...

I can't wait to see what I do with that sweater either! I've felted it and now it's sitting there waiting for inspiration.

Elizabeth said...

that sweater IS wonderfully aweful! And I'm looking forward to pictures of the royal purple dying project. :D

Colleen said...

I think the purple dye and the science experiment will have to wait until after Thanksgiving.