Saturday, March 21, 2009

MKMW: Ireland

I think I did more to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day this year than all the other years of my life combined. My sister and her family were here for the week, so we spent some time visiting, cooking, doing activites with the kids and visiting D.C. As luck would have it, we accidentally came upon D.C.'s St. Patricks Day parade, which thrilled the kids to pieces.
On St. Patrick's Day itself, the kids all wore green, pulled out the leprachaun hats and painted pictures of rainbows and pots of gold.



To honor my My Kitchen My World obligations, I made a yummy Irish Soda Bread for breakfast. My sister got the recipe from her copy of The Book of Days. Check it out.


Leslie and I also pulled together a Shepherd's pie from one of Rachel Ray's "30 minute" meals. I don't care what she says, I have NEVER made one of those recipes in 30 minutes! I suppose I could if I had staff, maybe!
After tweaking a few of the ingredients, adding some Italian seasoning and some Chinese soy sauce, we came up with an Irish meal that the kids thought tasted like Swedish meatballs.
Go figure!?
Regardless... the kids liked it so much that they were all disappointed that there weren't any leftovers the next day and have already asked when we can make it again!

For dessert, we made a Chocolate Guiness Cake.

I got the recipe from Mary's Blog, Chasing Some Blue Sky

Mary got the recipe from Nigella Lawson. Thank you Mary!!

You foodie people would love Mary's blog, she's amazing!


Sorry about the really lousy food pics. It's either me or the camera or both, but I'm just going to blame the camera!








7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

YUMMMMMMMMM I'm jealous....

Michelle Dargen said...

Delish!!! Everything looks so yummy and your kids are too cute!!

rosasdolcevita said...

What a fun family day this turned out to be! Everything looks so yummy! And your kids are so cute!

I also read Mary's blog and just love it! She is definitely one of my favourite reads.

Take care,
Rosa

Grammie/Mom said...

And a good time was had by all...How was the cake?

Leslie said...

of course i loved everything about the day and all the festivities...that picture hurts me a little. It is like a vision forward 10 years. yikes!!! i wish we were still there the whole day was so much fun! good post.

Colleen said...

Avery does look to terribly old in that picture, but cute too. I just realized that I mentioned Mary's name four times in three lines, that's quite a shout out! :o)

Leslie said...

did you finish eeyore?
word vert(inable)