Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Miss Matryoshka

I remember visiting my sister's preschool and seeing a matryoshka doll for the first time. I had seen this clip on sesame street and it fascinated me, but I didn't know that you could have one in "real life." At some point I must have discovered that they were from Russia, so I decided that if I were to get one, I would have to go to Russia for it.


As a teen I got the opportunity to go to Russia (now the Ukraine) as part of a missions trip. That is where I bought this lovely lady. She's a bit faded and worn and someone lost her littlest doll, but I am so glad I have her.


Since that trip, the world has discovered matryoshkas and you can find them pretty much anywhere, but I still have it in my head that I can only get a "real" one if I go back to Russia. (I don't see that happening any time soon.) In the meantime, I am happy to have this little matryoshka on my tree to remind me of my childhood as well as my trip to the Ukraine.




Photobucket

9 comments:

Leslie said...

i still have one that you brought back for me. the kids love these. i am always amazed at how fascinated they are about it. i can't wait to come and check out your tree myself.

Elizabeth said...

I love that ornament :D

Kate said...

cute ornament. we have a whole stor dedicated to them here. you know they place that used to be called Baskets it's now "Nesting Dolls"

Colleen said...

Kate... I saw that. I'll have to go there next time, but I don't know if I can get myself to buy one since I won't be in Russia! :)

Grammie/Mom said...

I see my comments didn't make it on here this morning. I also wrote what Kate did about the old basket shop.

MamaBear said...

How fun that you posted a 'travel' ornament today too! So many memories in one little ornament :)

Kim said...

They are so cute, I have always love the Matryoshkas, my grandmother had one and I remember playing with it when I was a young girl. Fun!

Sarah said...

i LOVE your ornament! I also went to Ukraine as a teenager for a mission trip! Crazy!!

Jenilee said...

what a wonderful way to remember Russia! I love it. :) I am a homeschooling mommy too! We aren't military but, as pastor's, we understand moving. Enjoyed visiting your blog!