Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kent Lake, Michigan and a bloggy meet up...

We've been on the road for just over a week now.
And while I feel like we've covered so much ground and have done so many wonderful things,
I know that there is so much more to go.

I haven't had a lot of time to blog, but being in the car gives me lots of time to think,
so I find myself composing blog posts in my head.

Unfortunately, my mind is like a sieve
and I can only remember bits and pieces of these "amazing" posts that I've mentally composed.

But let me start with the one thought that comes to me most often
(other than "get outta my way, you slow driver!)

and that thought is...

I Am Happy.

I am grateful.
I am excited.
I am having fun.
I am blessed with wonderful children
and wonderful friends
(who have made this trip so much more amazing than I could have done on my own.)

One particular example is this day at Kent Lake, where they had a great splash pad and water slide
and a wonderful swimming beach.

Just a half an hour from our hotel in Detroit, 
but we would never, ever have found it if Alita from Alita Jewel's Treasures
hadn't taken time out of her day to meet us at the nearby Dairy Queen
and to show us to one of her favorite summer hangouts.

Her boys were adorable and Julia had a great time running around the splash pad with them.

I had a wonderful visit with a bloggy friend.


A great time was had by all.

BUT...

Can you believe that neither Alita nor I took a single picture while we were together?
Didn't even break out the camera.

Maybe we were shy, maybe we were nervous, 
maybe I was feeling a little self conscious about my... well me.
(I weigh far more than I like to mention here on this blog.
I like to pretend like no one will notice, if I just don't bring it up.)
(and maybe if it's in parentheses, you still won't notice.)

Anyhow... I have no photographic evidence that I met up with Alita, but the memory will stay with me
and I am more than grateful that she brought us to such a fun place.
Thanks, Alita!

*************************
I've been keeping up with posting a pic or two a day on facebook, so find me there too.

13 comments:

Jess said...

Hooray!!! I am so excited for you, and I can only imagine how much more awesome this trip is when you're meeting up with us bloggy peeps along the way.

I really cannot believe neither you OR Alita took a single photo. Girls!

By the way, we are getting a picture (or two) of us together when you're here. I'm searching the place desperately for my remote.

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Sounds like you are having a great trip.

koreen (aka: winn) said...

Yay! You're on your way. I love reading about your adventures, and so so happy for you that you're happy! I love car adventures with a great crew. :D

Am so looking forward to seeing you, and yes, I have my remote and we're taking photos. I mean, lots!

Anonymous said...

I love the sunburst in the first photo Colleen!

Susan said...

Oh, it looks like you’re having an amazing time! I love that first waterslide shot! Did you happen to get a Coney Island (hot dog) while in Michigan?

Unknown said...

Well I have to say it sounds like you are having a ball.. How fun to get to meet Alita.. She seems like such a sweet heart. (so do you)!! That is so funny that you guys didn't break out your cameras. Sounds like something I would do..

Drive safe..

Hugs, Linda

Grammie/Mom said...

It was good to read a new post! Fun, Fun, Fun!!! How many lovely Blog ladies are you meeting up with? Thanks for more pics of the kids. Love you all.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are happy with your sweet kids! I loved the pictures and totally get that you need a blog break. :)

T.J. said...

WHHHHHHAAAAAT??!!!!! You got to meet Alita??!!! Oh how much fun the two of you must have had!

I'm so glad to hear the trip is going well for you Colleen- that first picture is just well, picture perfect and it reflects how in touch with yourself you are right now :)

Alita said...

First- I was nervous, too. Exactly the reason I didn't pull out my camera.

Second- I loved hanging out with you (so the camera would have just gotten in the way)

Third- I want some of these pictures! :)

Fourth- I loved this post!!!!!!

and meeting you!!!!!!

and you look fabulous, dahlin!

:)

Alita

Unknown said...

Oh have fun! Will you be coming through Wisconsin next?

Mary said...

Look at all of that lovely water! Hope you are having a phenomenal trip!

Brooke said...

It looks like a wonderful place! I am shocked that neither of my favorite photographer/bloggers busted out a camera!!!