Wednesday, November 9, 2011

North Dakota on my mind...

As I was planning our trip across country, whenever I told someone that we were going through North Dakota they would invariably ask "Why?"
It wasn't a why as in "why on earth would you want to go there?!"
in a tone that is generally reserved for New Jersey, third world countries and well... Seattle.
No... it was more of a question of "Why go there? What is there to see or do?"
They were curious, but...
Honest truth... I had no idea.

North Dakota seems to suffer from a lack of advertising.
I wonder if the people of ND prefer it that way, maybe it keeps all the riff-raff and obnoxious tourists away.
I did a lot of research to see what might be worth seeing in the great state of ND.
First thing on my list...
The world's largest buffalo statue!
Yeah, man... I'm going there!

I'm a sucker for cheesy and dorky tourist attractions and world's largest anything.
And... Grant's favorite animal for all of his childhood was a bison/buffalo.
He even had a stuffed bison that he had named "Adonis."  
(Gotta love that kid.)
So we had to go.

As I planned this little pit stop, a voice from blogland called out and said,
"I live just a few miles from that 'largest buffalo', let's get together."
(Or something like that.  I'm paraphrasing.)
To which I replied, "Great!  I'll have run out of clean clothes by then.  Can I do laundry at your house?"

Screech!!!  Hold on!
Did I just ask a total stranger (albeit a blog friend) if I could come to her house
and do laundry???

Who does that?
And who would let me?
Well, I did and Jess would. 
:)
(Grant getting ready for his first buffalo run.)
But... in an effort to ease into that activity, we both agreed to meet at the World's Largest Buffalo Statue.
(Large bovines make great meeting places.)

(see Jess back there?)
 The story of that meet up and the trip to her house where I didn't end up doing laundry
will have to wait for another day.

9 comments:

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I love the world's largest anything too. ND is beautiful.

Jess said...

Hahahah! Oh, how I love this! :)

koreen (aka: winn) said...

Ah! Are you going to tell in detail about your trip?! So awesome.

Jientje said...

Blog friends are the best!

Unknown said...

That is so fun that you got to meet a blog friend! I also LOVE, LOVE things like that buffalo. Being that in live in Texas, I'd love to take a trip to ND. I like that it seems like a quiet place, too.

Susan said...

I love everything about this post! ND is one of the few states I haven’t been to, even though I grew up relatively close. Love the shot of Grant stretching, and how you pointed out Jess in the background. If that’s little Bean she has really grown since! It’s so nice having you back in blogland!

deb duty said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I would love to see ND. It looks beautiful. And so fun that you got to meet a blog friend in person! Oh and I have to say I love the daisy shot a lot!!

T.J. said...

I knew more on the giant buffalo would be coming! Yay! And can't wait to hear further about your adventures with Jess. From her past post, it sounds like you all had a fabulous time!!!

Alita said...

Jess is the bomb. And I can't wait to read more.

And why is Seattle like New Jersey? I have always wanted to go to Seattle. Also, I will be Washington (Olympia) this summer. If you aren't too far out we should meet up, again.

Hope you are ok! I miss reading you. Actually I miss all things bloggy. I haven't been in the mood for blogging lately. I know ya know what I mean. Creative brain drain. lol...

alita